Friday, September 27, 2013

Week 1 and 2

         In my experience with this class so far, I will be totally honest when I say that I have learned an incredible amount about the statistics on families in the United States. For one of our assignments, we had to do two hours of research on one topic of the family that interested us. I did my research on divorce rates in the United States. What I discovered was fascinating! Unlike what I would have expected, divorce rates rose several years ago, but have actually dropped since then. I have always concluded that divorce is becoming more and more common, but now I didn't see a rise of these rates in the recent census taken.
        When I brought my findings and statistical evidence to class the next day, we discussed the reasons and thoughts behind these results. One of my peers commented on how they believed that cohabitation has influenced this change because people aren't committed to relationships and can brake them without a divorce. How cohabiting is becoming more common and that marriage is now placed on hold. That made me really think. Overall, doing research on this has expanded my knowledge on what I think of when I consider the changes in United States divorce rates.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad that the statistics we studied in class have expanded your mind. Could you share more reasons why the divorce rate has dropped? It is interesting to see how cohabitation has become more popular in society. Many popes are starting to refuse to marry couples until they have tried cohabiting first.

    ReplyDelete