Friday, October 4, 2013

Relationships in the family

So- for this weeks assignments in this class, I learned quite a bit. At BYU-Idaho where I am currently taking this Family Relations class, the students are required to do a lot to be prepared to come to class by completing assignments to read or research different topics. I have learned so much more preparing for class than I would have expected! For one assignment, I had to utilize a program called genpro to map out the relationships that exist in my own family whether they be positive or negative. Doing this gave me a visual perspective on how my families relationships are right now.
     For another assignment, I had to go to a public place where families would be so I chose to walk to a public park near the campus. Once I got there, I had to observe the relationships that existed between family members (in this case, it was between several mothers and their children). The first mother I observed was so kind and sweet to her little boy and she played with him on the jungle gym. For a moment, the little boy strayed over to a construction area and though I might have expected her to get angry, she calmly said "Don't go over there." He listened and quickly obeyed her. In this positive relationship I can visualize how it might progress over time to become healthy even into the teenage years. Obviously the boy trusts his mother and she has a loving way of correcting and helping him that could influence him as he grows up.
    I also had to watch several videos about the separation of the wealthy and the poor in society. I guess I never really considered that it could be an issue in this day and age. I learned how in various situations, these different classes in society really don't mix. It seems to depend upon where in the U.S. you live. Well, I learned a lot even from doing these few assignments- this class becomes more and more insightful every week!

No comments:

Post a Comment