Monday, December 16, 2013

Aging as a couple and conclusion

      The aging of married individuals can be a relaxing and happy experience if the couple chooses to be happy. This week we focused on the aging of married couples and the different challenges that they go through during that period of their life. For most couples we realized that this empty nester time in their lives is an enjoyable time where the marriage can be strengthened and intimacy is at it's highest. Looking at these results I was somewhat surprised because I guess I did not think that with age intimacy would increase. But it is true that once the children leave, couples tend to lean more on each other and grow old with each other. This is the case with most couples, but in actuality this is not always the case. Statistically speaking, 11% of those grandparent age couples are raising their grandchildren. We studied how this would affect the dynamic in the relationships between grandparents and grandchildren. This type of interaction would become a blend of a grandparent and parenting relationship. Overall, this time period in our lives is one that is influenced by our situations in life. It can be a time of frustration and stress or a joyful time of re-acquaintance with one's spouse.

      This is my last blog post! It has been such an insightful semester and I have enjoyed the different lessons that I have been taught in class. I am heading home for next semester, but I know that because of what I learned in this class I will be much more awair of my relationships with family members and how important they are in my life. I hope you all enjoyed my weekly posts and were influenced in one way or another to think about some of these issues. I hope all of you have a Merry Christmas and try to remember the importance of your relationships with family members during this holiday!

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad you have felt that you've truly learned in this course! What are some key principles that you would like to take with you? How has your participation in the course influenced your view of the family? Elder M. Russell has said, "Indeed, nothing is more critically connected to happiness—both our own and that of our children—than how well we love and support one another within the family." I love this quote as it identifies the connection between families and happiness. How will you encourage happiness in your current and future family?

    ReplyDelete