Thursday, December 5, 2013

Parenting

     Parenting right is very important in the lives of children. This week we zoomed in on the parenting techniques that are most prevalent in society today. Growing up, I had never thought that parenting was very difficult. I had never really considered that parenting could be bad or good. It seemed like something that is just learned over time. But as I have had to take an in depth look at what takes place in parenting, I have changed my mind.  To prepare for class on Monday, we had to take a little online test that would reveal which type of parenting style we most exhibit- Authoritative, Authoritarian, or permissive. I had most of the qualities that an Authoritative parent would possess which I discovered was a positive result. In researching these different parenting approaches, I feel like that the Authoritative type of parenting is best. In this approach respect is expected, yet parents talk and listen to their children. In doing this, the children feel that their perspective is validated, but they still experience consequences and are taught to respect their elders.
 In contrast, parents act like dictators and do not listen to the responses of their children  in the Authoritarian technique. The third technique involves the parents acting as doormats and allowing their children to walk all over them and tell them what to do. This is known as the Permissive technique. These last two techniques are extremes that I feel we must avoid because freedom is either restricted or given too freely. My own parents wisely utilized the Authoritative parenting style. They listened to my opinion and had me choose my consequences when discipline was needed. I am grateful that they did this because I am much better at making decisions now. I also know that my parents will validate my opinion so I can talk to my parents about things that bother me. I plan to raise my kids under this Authoritative parenting technique because I know that they will be most prepared to enter the world when they must leave home.

2 comments:

  1. I find it so interesting that parenting has such a direct correlation to societal trends. How does society benefit from productive, effective parenting? Which style of parenting authoritative, authoritarian or permissive do you think should be used most often? I believe that engaged parents have the ability to increase learning and confidence in children if seek to be well informed and hard working parents. What do you think are some of the most important purposes of parenting?

    ReplyDelete
  2. In society effective parenting is so important because it produces the future adult generations. I feel that authoritative parenting is the most effective parenting style because the parent talks to the child like they are an adult and works through problems with them without taking punishment out of the picture. This approach influences the child to make their own decisions and select their own punishment in various situations. The most important purposes in parenting is to rear respectable and good citizens who can influence those around them for the better. One moral and good person can make a big difference in others lives. Parenting is vital, especially in disciplinary situations where the child has opportunities to learn from mistakes and grow as individuals.

    ReplyDelete