Friday, November 1, 2013

Getting married

         Alrighty! So this week we zoomed in on the topic of the "marriage process." It was really fascinating what we learned about. I had never realized how complicated the process was! I mean when you are engaged to a person, you should probably learn about their lifestyles, beliefs, traditions...everything that they will be bringing to the table once the marriage ceremony is over. It may appear that life will be complete bliss (and for a little while it will be), but soon enough the couple will need to make some important decisions. In one of the class discussions that we had, our instructor went through a questionnaire just to get us thinking about the various choices that will need to be made. They were questions like- Will the wife take the last name of the husband to be her own? How many kids will the couple have? Will both individuals work? How will holidays be celebrated?... I didn't really consider how much will need to be decided when two lives merge into one. It really got me thinking.
      We also discussed what happens once a child is born into the home. My teacher really emphasized how important it is for the husband to be a part of the little things like doctors appointments. I learned how those little things added up to be very important in the marriage strengthening process. I was very surprise that as I was  going through a homework assignment I discovered that when giving birth, the mother of the woman should with her when she is giving birth. It should be the father because in such a fragile situation as two people bringing a child into the world, that moment could be shared to make marriage bonds and the love in the relationship stronger. Whereas the mother would be the one sharing that moment with her daughter- a moment that a couple could miss out on. I believe that when I go through this whole ordeal, I will be a little more prepared because of this class!

2 comments:

  1. Great thoughts! You mentioned that through your discussions this week you have had some new thoughts, what are some of these new ideas? In your opinion what are the most important reasons why we marry? In the class discussions, the truth that there are both physiological and emotional benefits were introduced. Besides the obvious, what are some of these physiological and emotional benefits? I also believe that when a couple is having a child they should share the experience with one another to encourage unity. What are some of your favorite insights from the class thus far?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, if you can't tell already, I simply love this class. It has brought these new ideas to mind! I mentioned previously how important it is for the married couple to keep their love alive and healthy so that they can face child bearing and other trying times together. These times can be beneficial or detrimental to a relationship depending on how they are handled.
    I believe that we marry because it is god's will for us. Since Adam and Eve were placed on the earth, it is simply what we are meant to do- Marry and have children! From my observations of married and single people, marriage brings happiness and joy that could not be experienced otherwise. Research has even revealed that couples engaging in cohabitation are not as satisfied sexually as married couples are. If we marry and stay true to that one person, there is happiness. I see this faithfulness in the marriages of my parents, grandparents, and great-grandparents. They are such happy people and are still madly in love with their spouses. It is personally what I desire- a strong love with my husband that will last.
    Emotional and Physiological benefits of marriage are introduced only when a couple works together. It takes two to make a positive marriage relationship, not one. Unity is essential. Decisions should be made together so that unity is strengthened! Love should also be kept alive for unity to be strengthened. I know that in my own home, my parents make sure that they have a date night at least once a week. I have never fully understood why they needed that until I took this class and realized how many couples in this world really do lose that love they once had. It is sad and I am now planning to implement this practice into my marriage when I get married.

    ReplyDelete